Friday 22 January 2016

Sketching snow in the Lake district.


Friars Crag, Derwentwater.

I wandered down to the lake foreshore, with paints in the bag, scarf and hat firmly in place. 
With the wind not blowing, snow on the fells and barely anyone around, it really was a joy to be out painting. I've sketched from this spot many times and sit myself in the roots of the old tree. 
It is important for me to paint outdoors, but really it's about loving the outdoors, enjoying the wildlife and drinking in the view and atmosphere of a place.

I loosely painted with watercolours, no pre sketching onto Pastelmat pastel paper. When this was dry I added the pastels and then finished off the painting in the warm studio.

I do recommend getting out sketching.






These two lovely views, though were far too cold to sketch at. It was nearly too cold to get out of the car to take some photographs.



If you fancy sketching or painting in the Lake District, 
I organise four days courses based in Grasmere. 
In the warmer months!!


No comments: