Monday 1 June 2009

Italian Balcony Painting

Italian Balcony Watercolour by Jane Ward

Worked all day yesterday on Italian Balcony, painting part of it in the sunshine on the patio really helped. I could look at pots, plants and dreaded steps.Listening to Zucchero an Italian Rock band I like got me in the mood. I think sometimes you do need to get into a feeling or place for a painting. I came across this balcony two years ago in a little old square in Iseo Town (Italian Lakes) we were sitting under this beautiful balcony trying to get the angles right when out came a nonna (Italian Grandma) she was captivated with a group of English painters trying to paint her wonderful balcony. Throughout the morning she would pop her head out to see if we were still there and then around lunch time out she popped with wooden spoon and lifting it to her mouth to try her Delicious tomato sauce.It was then that you knew you were painting in Italy with the sun shinning, enticing spells and gentle clattering of lunch been made. We were offered peaches fresh from a tree and glasses of white wine throughout that wonderful day.

7 comments:

Theresa Evans said...

This is beautiful! It's so evocative of those hot summer days in Italy when you're constantly on the lookout for the shade!

I love the cloth hanging over the door too . . . its movement makes you really sense the gentle breeze.

Theresa

Lakeland art said...

Hi Theresa, your right about the shade, thank you for your kind comments.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Well, I certainly feel as if I am there--I can almost feel the breeze! Wonderful painting.

our shabby cottage said...

You are unreal Jane - I love this one!

Teresa said...

What a wonderful experience... and a wonderful painting to commemorate it! Great job!

Lakeland art said...

Hey thanks everyone I really appreciate your kind words.

Dave from Keswick said...

Wonderful painting Jane, The photos also look great.... I can hear the water gentle lapping on the boats, the sound of Italian singing in the distance, the aroma of freshly cooked Italian food.... I'd better get back to work.
Cheers